Start to let the poison drain.
Pour it out and admit
You've laid a long trail of pain
Living as an addict.
http://addictionrecovery.lds.org/find-a-meeting?lang=eng
#addictionrecovery #12step
That to become clean is a gift
As blessings from the Lord soon show
And help me that I not drift
Every day and every hour
Is not too high a price to pay
For the devil would to me devour
As he tempts me to harms way
Then, to tempt me in new ways
Thoughts from Bruce R. McConkie's
quote pg. 61 in
Addiction Recovery Program
Thoughts from Bruce R. McConkie's
quote pg. 61 in
Addiction Recovery Program
The more I repent, the more I know
That to become clean is a gift
As blessings from the Lord so show!
And help me that I not drift
Oh to be clean
The old, cast off
There to be free
What a gift to love
Every day and every hour
Is not too high a price to pay
For the devil would to me devour
As he tempts me to harms way
Then, to tempt me in new ways
Oh to be clean
The old, cast off
There to be free
What a gift, to love
No more hiding
No sneaking around
Lies for deciding
Avoiding to be found
Seeing others eye to eye
Showing goodness growing inside
Feeling the spirit from on high
Daring to dream, there to reside
Oh to be clean
The old, cast off
There to be free
What a gift, to love
and to be loved
I ran my life into the ground
Because I couldn't stop
The only way out, I found
Was to let walls of lies drop
Step 1
Fallen and at the end of my rope
I prayed to know if there was hope
I was wrapped in love and lifted in peace
God would help my addictions to cease!
Step 2: Hope - Preston’s Story about Drug Addiction Recovery
I'd rather be dead than fat
I thought some meth would help
But the trouble was that
I was lost in living hell
I tried to overdose
So sick of the "chase"
There was so much to lose
I tried church, just in case
I learned to trust in God
And surrender my will
I found happiness again
From my past, I did heal
Step 3: Trust in God - Sharon’s Story about Crystal Meth Addiction Recovery
Ashamed, I chose to drink
Always, I was on the run
And I just didn't think
That it would hurt anyone
I tried to quit on my own
Then I sought the Bishop's hand
I found I wasn't alone
Now my life's something grand
Step 4: Truth - Austin’s Story about Addiction Recovery
Secrets pain the soul
You can't stuff them inside
The Lord loves you so
Trust in Him and confide
Step 5: Confession - Jessica’s Story about Food Addiction Recovery
It was that last straw
Somehow I had missed
I knelt and asked God
"Will you take this?"
Step 6: Change of Heart - Aram’s Story about Drug Addiction Recovery
I threw my life away
And hid so none could see
I tried to end it one day
But suicide failed me
After detox, I sought
A safe place in which to cleanse
All my character flaws
That founded my addictive sins
I prayed to Heavenly Father
And I felt wrapped in His arms
From this, I was able to gather
Grace to stay safe from harm
I knew I'd shortcomings
And I would struggle each day
But, I knew that everything
Too, was going to be o.k.
And hid so none could see
I tried to end it one day
But suicide failed me
[Pre-Chorus]
After detox, I sought
A safe place to cleanse
All my character flaws
That founded my addictive sins
[Chorus] Heavenly Father, hold me
Wrapped in Your arms
Heavenly Father, hold me
Keep me safe from harm
I’m learning, I’m learning
To stay when it hurts
Heavenly Father, hold me
Till my heart knows worth
[Verse 2] I knew I'd shortcomings
And I would struggle each day
But I kept showing up
Even when I slipped away
[Pre-Chorus]
After detox, I sought
A safe place to cleanse
All my character flaws
That founded my addictive sins
[Chorus]
Heavenly Father, hold me
Wrapped in Your arms
Heavenly Father, hold me
Keep me safe from harm
I’m learning, I’m learning
To stay when it hurts
Heavenly Father, hold me
Till my heart knows worth
[Bridge]
I prayed and felt it near
Grace moving through the dark
Not fixed in a day
But healed in the parts
[Final Chorus]
Heavenly Father, hold me
Wrapped in Your arms
Heavenly Father, hold me
Keep me safe from harm
I’m learning, I’m learning
To stay when it hurts
Heavenly Father, hold me
And I will know my worth
The LDS Addiction Recovery Program frames Step 7 around the key principle of humility, where participants humbly ask Heavenly Father to remove their shortcomings through reliance on Jesus Christ.
Step 7: Humility - Holly’s Story about Drug Addiction Recovery
When you hold a deep grudge
You are poisoning yourself
My anger so fueled by drugs
Only forgiveness was my help
Step 8: Forgiveness - Larry’s Story about Drug Addiction Recovery
I had led a double life
Now exposed, could I explain?
I lost my job and my wife
I "used" more to numb the pain
I did anything to get high
A prostitute worked with me
I kissed my future goodbye
Inside I was empty
Out of control, it was a relief
When I was placed in jail
I sought those whom I'd caused grief
To make amends where I'd failed
Oh, the damage I had done!
Trust was just not there
For years I was shunned
I petitioned Father's care
A new life was given to me
And my prayers were answered one day
When for the first time I could see
My grandchildren at play
Now exposed, could I explain?
I lost my job and my wife
I used more to numb the pain
I did anything to get high
A prostitute worked with me
I kissed my future goodbye
Inside I was empty
[Chorus] Oh, the damage I had done!
Trust was just not there
Oh, the damage I had done!
For years I was shunned
[Verse 2] Out of control, it was a relief
When I was placed in jail
I sought those whom I'd caused grief
To make amends where I'd failed
I petitioned Father's care
A new life was given to me
And my prayers were answered one day
When for the first time I could see
[Chorus] Oh, the damage I had done!
Trust was just not there
Oh, the damage I had done!
For years I was shunned
[Bridge] A new life was given to me
And my prayers were answered one day
When for the first time I could see
My grandchildren at play
[Final Chorus] Oh, the damage I had done!
Trust was just not there
Oh, the damage I had done!
For years I was shunned
A new life was given to me
And my prayers were answered one day
-------
Is there restitution
That I might make?
With a resolution
I'll wrong sins and awake
I'll seek for a gift
It's called charity
And others I'll lift
Without variety
With Christ's perfect love
I'll cast off my fears
Make prayers to above
And right the past years
That I might make?
With a resolution
I'll wrong sins and awake
I'll seek for a gift
It's called charity
And others I'll lift
Without variety
With Christ's perfect love
I'll cast off my fears
Make prayers to above
And right the past years
Step 9: Restitution and Reconciliation - John’s Story on Drug Addiction ...
I daily take inventory
Of the way, I feel inside
I am a success story
When my true self, I don't hide
Step 10: Daily Accountability - Adrienne’s Story about Cocaine Addiction...
I was resigned to the fact
That I was a junky
I couldn't put on an act
So, I pushed my kids from me
I lived inside my car
And did anything and everything I could
To drift high away far
Then the police..yes, this was good
For heroine is a demon
That you cannot sedate
The detox was mean then
But I had been saved from fate
Thoughts of my childhood
And songs came flooding back
Prayer, I'd not thought that I could!
In hope, I started to bask
Revelation came about
I wanted to do the Lord's will
Now I seek power to carry this out
As I share with Him how I feel
Prayer is now my lifeline
This is why I exist
I pray all of the time
This is how I persist
Step 11: Personal Revelation - Lindsay’s Story about Heroin Addiction Re...
Within seconds, I was on the floor
It was an overdose!
I didn't want to live anymore
I landed flat on my nose
Shattered and in need of repair
I went to 12 step in spite of my face
Line upon line I came unto care
And my life started to fall into place
Because of what I now know
I return to recover every week
And in new ways, I still grow
To become strong, where I was weak
Face the music
And come clean
Addicts are sick
What's hidden gets seen
Face the music
And joy to your step
twelve steps. Do it
Our Savior will help
[Verse 1]
Within seconds, I was on the floor
It was an overdose!
I didn't want to live anymore
I landed flat on my nose
Shattered and in need of repair
I went to 12 step in spite of my face
Line upon line I came unto care
And my life started to fall into place
[Pre-Chorus]
Because of what I now know
I return to recover every week
And in new ways, I still grow
To become strong, where I was weak
[Chorus]
Face the music
And come clean
Face the music
And come clean
Addicts are sick
What's hidden gets seen
Face the music
Add joy to your step
Twelve steps. Do it
Our Savior will help
[Verse 2]
Because of what I now know
I return to recover every week
And in new ways, I still grow
To become strong, where I was weak
[Chorus]
Face the music
And come clean
Face the music
And come clean
Addicts are sick
What's hidden gets seen
Face the music
Add joy to your step
Twelve steps. Do it
Our Savior will help
[Bridge]
Line upon line I came unto care
Shattered and in need of repair
I went to 12 step in spite of my face
And my life started to fall into place
[Final Chorus]
Face the music
And come clean
Face the music
And come clean
Addicts are sick
What's hidden gets seen
Face the music
Add joy to your step
Twelve steps. Do it
Our Savior will help
There are many more poems based on this theme. If you do a search on addiction. Here is my favorite personal. Seeing it from the other side:
No comments:
Post a Comment