In haste, I wrote to Governor Ford
Assuring compliance, without disturbance
The printing press now lay shattered
But, still anger rose up against the Saints
I was arrested, the charges were baseless
But, when I was released, this angered mobs more
Hundreds more now assembled
To destroy the temple and burn homes, they swore
The enemy thought that to destroy me
Would put a final end to our presence
But I knew my blood would not put an end
To their thirst for more blood, in the spirit of hatred and vengeance
For many feel threatened by more than our church
They see how we've filled and prospered the land
The governor was sending occupying troops, I learned
Hyrum came. I knew I was being sent to be slaughtered, just like a lamb
I kissed Emma and each our children, too
"You are coming back," Emma said through tears
But I knew this time what the mob would do
And I bravely mounted my horse, and waved off my fears
Our horse's gait was steady and strong
I left the peaceful place of Nauvoo
To surrender though I knew they were wrong
And along the street at each gate
In truth, for a last goodbye
Saints stood firm prepared to wave
To call, "I love you!" and to cry
[Verse 1]
In haste, I wrote to Governor Ford
Assuring compliance, without disturbance
The printing press now lay shattered
But, still anger rose up against the Saints
I was arrested, the charges were baseless
But, when I was released, this angered mobs more
[Chorus]
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
I knew this time what the mob would do
And I bravely mounted my horse
[Verse 2]
Hundreds more now assembled
To destroy the temple and burn homes, they swore
The enemy thought that to destroy me
Would put a final end to our presence
But I knew my blood would not put an end
To their thirst for more blood, in the spirit of hatred and vengeance
[Pre-Chorus]
For many feel threatened by more than our church
They see how we've filled and prospered the land
The governor was sending occupying troops, I learned
Hyrum came. I knew I was being sent to be slaughtered, just like a lamb
[Chorus]
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
I knew this time what the mob would do
And I bravely mounted my horse
[Bridge]
I kissed Emma and each our children, too
You are coming back, Emma said through tears
But I knew this time what the mob would do
And I bravely mounted my horse, and waved off my fears
[Verse 3]
I was as “Calm As A Summer’s Morning.”
Our horse's gait was steady and strong
I left the peaceful place of Nauvoo
To surrender though I knew they were wrong
And along the street at each gate
In truth, for a last goodbye
Saints stood firm prepared to wave
To call, I love you! and to cry
[Chorus]
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
Calm As A Summer’s Morning
I knew this time what the mob would do
And I bravely mounted my horse
Read this to get an understanding of that day. Joseph and Hyrum actually circled back because he ran into the leader of the troop and they wanted the Nauvoo militia to surrender their weapons. They helped make sure this happened with peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment